Lessons learned in athletic preparation and competition apply to leading ourselves and others to excellence in our workplace.
In order to achieve success on the field, we apply leadership principles that are taught in the best business schools:
- a compelling vision provides direction
- great organizational (physically and culturally) structure allows work to get done well
- finding a millions ways to stay engaged, in spite of obstacles, economics
- commitment is the only way to rise above good and very good to reach excellence
- character is what our reputation is built on – build strong
After yesterday’s 800 meters, something astonishing happened. I ran ten seconds faster than expected and had a blast.
Work should be fun. Excellence should be a natural outpouring from the long, hard hours, weeks, months, even years of preparation.